CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States that provides grain, food and energy resources to businesses and consumers around the world. We serve agriculture customers and consumers across the United States and around the world. Most of our 10,000 employees are in the United States, but today we have employees in 19 countries. At CHS, we are creating connections to empower agriculture.
CHS has an exciting opportunity at our McPherson, KS Refinery. We are looking for a Refinery Zone Superintendent to be responsible for process area (Zone) management including ensuring process safety, meeting the comprehensive operating plan, providing engineering support for operations, monitoring equipment, monitoring catalyst activity, and trouble-shooting process problems. To be successful you must be able to establish and maintain networks across organizational lines, a strategic leader who is detail-oriented, collaborative, and adaptable with a commitment to results and quality. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proven ability to build strong working relationships, as well as ability to manage work in a fast-paced environment are essential.
Manage the assets of Zone to deliver on the comprehensive operating plan. Elements of the comprehensive operating plan include, but are not limited to:
- Be responsible for Safety Management (PSM compliance and safe work performance).
- Ensure Environmental Stewardship (compliance and improvement).
- Maintain Production Capability (facilitating maintenance and driving reliability).
- Create Value (relieving constraints and optimizing processes).
- Lead Change (making physical asset and work process improvements happen).
- Be accountable for the process performance of assigned Zone 24/7/365.
- Optimize efforts on a daily and long-term basis to ensure safe process unit operation, achieve good environmental control, minimize energy consumption, and maximize profitability.
- Provide guidance to the front-line Zone Supervisor to assure alignment with overall and long-term objectives.
- Provide engineering to support day-to-day operating objectives for the Zone and execute projects when cannot be resourced to other Departments. Typical engineering examples include planning and executing maintenance and improvement, projects and fulfilling PSM requirements (e.g. MOC/PSSR/PHA).
- Actively be involved in all engineering projects and turnaround planning and execution responsibilities in the Zone.
- Collaborate with front-line Zone Supervisors and Training Supervisors to improve Operator capabilities through training and development.
- Collaborate with other Refinery Departments to schedule production and maintenance turnarounds.
- Balance competing priorities to meet the comprehensive operating plan. Ability to resolve multiple issues to critical focuses in a dynamic context.
- Operate Refinery equipment during an emergency, fire or strike.
- Be able to respond to emergencies, exercise good judgment and critical incident management during Refinery incidents.
- Overcome challenges presented by mechanical difficulties and comply with environmental and safety requirements that involve changing regulations and specifications.
- Execute special assignments on an as needed or developmental basis. These will typically include coordinating with large capital projects, leading planning for large turnarounds, or leading business improvement projects.
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture and follow all safety policies, procedures, and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
Minimum Qualifications (required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of petroleum refining industry experience
- Strong technical understanding of petroleum refinery operations, process design, petroleum product specifications, mechanical design, and construction processes
- An accountable self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills
- Good analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- 7+ years of petroleum refining industry experience
- Prior experience supervising process unit operations
CHS offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation, 401K, Company Funded Pension, Profit Sharing, Long and Short Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance.
CHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.