Full Time Truck Driver
CHS drivers spend their days making life easier for their customers – farmers, ranchers, local feed & seed stores, community gas stations and refineries. You’ll know most of the people on your route and you’ll be home most nights for supper.
More than any other role at CHS, you’re the connector. Moving products from sellers to buyers. Transporting supplies from production facilities to customers. Keeping rural America in business from before spring planting starts to well after fall harvest ends.
CHS is one of the biggest names in agronomy, energy and grain processing. Join our driving team and see where your career takes you.
- Having these traits leads to success in any of our driver roles:
- Safety driven
Safety & service
As part of the CHS driver team, safety and customer service matter more than anything:
- Safety — You’ll be hauling a variety of materials, some of which are hazardous. That’s why you’re required to have certain licensures and why we provide a new or late-model truck with top of the line safety equipment. This is a job where safety always comes first.
- Service — Once you arrive safely, then it’s all about the customer. You’ll get to know them and become familiar with the unique rhythm of their business. And when it’s harvest time, you’ll go above and beyond because that’s the spirit of a rural community.
I’m carrying hazardous material, so I’m constantly thinking about safety. On average, I only drive 120 to 175 miles a day. I make a lot of short trips back and forth through rural areas, so I’m always on the lookout for farm equipment and school buses and keep a safe distance from them on the road.— Mark Siefers Driver and recipient of the CHS Transportation Million-Mile Safe Driving Award
Fun fact: Mark has driven over 2 million miles without a safety incident — the equivalent of driving around the world 80 times.
- Dry van trucks
- Straight trucks
- Class A CDL
- Class B CDL
- Hazmat endorsement preferred
- Primarily local
- Home most nights
- Retail outlets that sell products to large farming operations
- Warehouses that are designed to distribute our packaged goods to retailers
- At the co-op level, working directly with local farmers and ranchers
- Commercial driving + fill-in warehouse work
- Crop inputs (fertilizer, protection, nutrients)
- Nitrogen, phosphorus, potash
- Palletized products like feed and fertilizer
- Hazardous- license endorsements
- Tankers (multiple load)
- Pressure trailers
- Class A CDL (some positions only require a Class B CDL)
- Hazmat/Tanker endorsement
- 2 years or 200,000 miles of verifiable tractor trailer experience endorsement
- Primarily regional; some long-haul
- Home most nights
- Gas stations, bulk plants (large propane bottle)
- Smaller trucks take to farms and smaller businesses
- Refined fuels, lubricants, propane and renewable energy products.
- NH3 (Anhydrous Ammonia)
Benefits & perks
We offer all of the benefits you’d expect from a large, international employer. Plus, we’ve made sure they’re affordable for every stage of your life — whether you’re early-career and starting a family, late-career and looking ahead to retirement or at any point in between.
Life and disability insurance
401(k)/ Retirement Plans
Military pay differential
CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States that provides grain, food and energy resources to businesses and consumers around the world. We serve agriculture customers and consumers across the United States and around the world. Most of our 10,000 employees are in the United States, but today we have employees in 19 countries. At CHS, we are creating connections to empower agriculture.
Join our Team!
CHS offers COMPETITIVE PAY, an extremely GENEROUS BENEFITS package, OPPORTUNITIES TO ADVANCE, and STABLE EMPLOYMENT with LONG TERM GROWTH opportunities.
We are hiring a Full-time Truck Driver in ELKTON, SD to deliver products such as grain, feed, seed, fertilizer, and other commodities. This is a driving job that allows you to be HOME EVERY NIGHT!
Our ideal candidate has an excellent driving record + a commitment to safety and customer service.
- Health Insurance (competitively priced – take more of your paycheck home!)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance (Both company paid and voluntary)
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance (100% company funded)
- Accident & Critical Illness Insurance
- Identity Protection (company funded)
- Paid Time Off (including vacation, sick, holidays, floating holidays, jury duty, and paid volunteer days!)
- Tuition Assistance
- Adoption Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Retirement including 401K with employer match AND a company paid pension
- Profit Sharing Bonuses
- Ensure accurate and timely pick up/deliveries to our customers in a safe, timely, and professional manner. Assist with or load or unload, as needed.
- Provide excellent customer service. Treat customers professionally; greet customers promptly and courteously. Promptly handle all customer concerns and elevate to leadership if required.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations. To include but not limited to pre-trip and post-trip reporting, proper load securement and hours of service.
- Maintain cleanliness of vehicle(s) inside and out, and work environment.
- Complete and document daily maintenance inspections. Ensure proper equipment maintenance is completed including repairs, and preventive maintenance.
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture and follow all safety policies, training, personal protective equipment procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
- Report all incidents (bodily or property), accidents, and traffic violations to immediately to supervisor.
- Enroll in and complete mandatory CHS random drug and alcohol testing program and the Continuous Monitoring Program.
- Assist operational staff and perform other duties as needed or assigned. May include intercompany related driving.
Minimum Qualifications (required)
- Must meet minimum age requirement by state.
- 3+ months experience operating a tractor-trailer combination, manual & automatic.
- Valid Class A CDL.
- Ability to pass DOT drug test.
- Ability to work additional hours/occasional weekends to meet business demands.
- Air Brake endorsements.
- Agriculture background knowledge and/or experience helpful.
- Customer service experience helpful.
- Bulk liquid, pressure trailer, or forklift experience.
CHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Get job alerts
Interested in a specific role or location? Sign-up for job alerts and we’ll automatically notify you when there’s an opening.
Join our talent community
Want to stay in touch? Join our talent community and we’ll send you updates about what’s happening at CHS and when we’re hiring.Sign up